Saturday, April 5, 2008

My shiny new Blackjack II

Well... not exactly new... more like a refurb, but it's new to me!

Blackjack_II

I just upgraded from the Blackjack to the Blackjack II.  So far, I really like it. The extra 64MB of RAM is wonderful since I keep a lot of things running.  I've also installed the MoDaCo GPS activator hack and now I can use the built-in GPS with navigational software.  It's going to take me a little time to get used to not having the side jogwheel.  It's been replaced with a jogwheel on the face of the phone, which is really convenient, but just a little different.

Construction-wise, the phone is a beauty with a shiny black case, extra large crystal display (though the actual screen portion appears to be about the same size).  The addition of multi-color LEDs for notifications is also handy.  Now I just have to figure out what the colors mean!  (red=charging, green=charged, white=???)

I've already noticed the battery life isn't quite as good as the BJ with extended battery, so I'll have to pay a little more attention to my sync schedules, what apps I leave running, etc.  For example, after a short night (there are a lot of kids in my house), the battery was down to just under 1/2 max. and I was already getting the "low power" warnings on the phone.

Switching phones is a bit of a pain.  I haven't set up all my e-mail accounts yet (I keep about 6 or 7 different ones) and I'm slogging through re-installing all my applications, digging up registration codes, etc.

No comments: