Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hypermiling story on NPR

Although our local NPR station passed up a great opportunity to interview me for a hypermiling story (wink), NPR recently discussed hypermiling on Morning Edition.  Their story focused a bit too much on the "extreme" side of the practice, in my opinion, but I'm happy to have the publicity for driving efficiently.  I actually had not heard the "one shoe trick" before / driving with the shoe off your accelerator foot so you can feather the gas pedal slightly better.  I will certainly try that on my commute home today.  Interestingly, the "extremist" they interviewed also drives a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid - though he could do much better than the 50mpg per tank he claims.

I've said it over and over, and I'll repeat it again - you don't need a hybrid to improve your mileage, just a brain and some patience.

I also found a link to a related NPR story on "Zen Driving" with a list of reader-supplied tips for driving efficiently.  Great stuff!

Have you tried hypermiling?  Are you making any changes in your driving habits in response to high gas prices (or for any other reason)? 

No comments: