Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Punish The Pump" Punishes the Ignorant

I received an e-mail from my local Honda dealer today advertising a "Punish the Pump" special maintenance program.  Apparently, this service will help you maximize your MPG.  For just $199.95, you get:

  • Air Induction Service
  • Multi-Point Inspection
  • Air Filter Replacement
  • Tire Rotation with Nitrogen Service
  • Complimentary Roadside Assistance
  • Standard Oil Change

I buy that the filter replacement and tire rotation & nitrogen are good things, but I take serious issue with the what the rest of this service offering implies.  First off, I'll admit I don't know what an "air induction service" is and I'm too lazy to search the web for it right now, so we'll just ignore that point.  Going down the line, the rest of this reads like a fairly standard oil change you can get for $25 at nearly any oil change station.

Nitrogen in your tires is supposed to be a good thing.  I got mine done for free at the place I regularly get my oil changes.  A rotation is going to help with wear and tear, but you really also need to get them balanced and aligned.  That's not included in this service and will set you back another $60-$100 depending on where you get it done (shop around).

A standard oil change isn't really going to help.  Follow master hypermiler Wayne Gerdes' advice and get the lowest viscosity synthetic your engine can stand.  Change your oil often.

You can change your own air filter for about $45.

You've already read my tips on how to really improve your mileage.  Don't be fooled into thinking you can just pay your mechanic to lower your monthly gas bill.  The single best thing you can do to lower your gas bill and still drive your own car is simply drive the speed limit.

No comments: