Thursday, July 31, 2008

A brave new world

This kind of thing may be old news to some of you, but I still find it really cool.  I'm living a geek moment right now and just felt compelled to share.

I'm hanging out in a coffee house tonight to get some work done.  Vista easily connected to the wireless network they have, but unfortunately for me the network wouldn't support connecting over a private VPN to my corporate network. 

Luckily, I have my trusty Blackjack II with Internet Connection Sharing enabled (along with an unlimited data plan that includes tethering, by the way).  I disabled the WiFi connection, connected my phone to my laptop via a USB cable, configured ICS, connected to my VPN and whammo - I'm online!

On top of all that, I'm connecting to a virtual copy of Windows Server 2003 running on a Hyper-V virtual machine.  So in addition to running on a "virtual" network, I'm connected to a virtual PC.  It's virtually the same as a "real" connection to a "real" PC.

Ain't technology great?

No comments: