Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Blackjack II WM6.1 upgrade is now available!

att_i617_update

The long-awaited Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade for the Samsung Blackjack II is now available to download!  Point yourself to Samsung's website for all the gritty details.  As with previous updates, a mis-step could brick your device, so be sure to back up everything before you proceed.  Being a maverick, I'm just going ahead without backing up anything.  Leap before you look, I always say!

Tip - The Windows Vista instructions tell you to download the Samsung Modem drivers, which appear at first look to only be available for Windows 98/XP.  I installed this package with no problem on my Vista laptop, however.

On to the installation...

"Wait for connecting the device to the PC..."

So far so good...

"The device is ready to be downloaded"

Sweet!  They're downloading a new device to... my device?

"Phase 2 Downloading 001%"

Um... this might take a while!

Looking at my BJII screen, steps that "pass" are listed in Red while steps that are still in progress are shown in green.  I wonder if traffic signals in Korea follow this scheme too?

Woohoo!  Phase 2 complete!  Wait... there's a Phase 3.  Drat.  Still waiting...

"All procedure to update the ROM image are done!"

All my base are belong to Samsung!  Phone is rebooting now... and wow, it's taking a LONG time to reboot.  I hope this is a one-time event.

So far, so good.  My phone is amazingly empty after the purge/re-flash, so I'll spend a few more hours tonight reloading all my apps.  If you run into trouble installing the new image, you can call Samsung at 1-888-987-4357.  Kudos for a great (if not long) upgrade experience and a phone number for bailing out the unlucky!

No comments: