Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How to Use Voice Command on BlackJack II with WM6.1

When I upgraded my Blackjack II to WM6.1 last night, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Voice Command is now installed by default.  This handy little app from Microsoft lets you interact with your phone by... voice... commands...  duh. 

It's easy to find and set up - just click to the start menu, select All Programs (another new feature of WM6.1), and then launch Voice Command.  You're presented with several options that let you configure VC to your heart's content.

Unfortunately, 1 critical configuration point is missing - the VC "hotkey".  To use VC, you have to press a button to put it into listening mode before you can talk to it.  Imagine how annoying it would be if the phone was always listening to you and rushing to answer "what time is it?" when you ask a friend, or dialing some other planet while you're watching E.T.?

Unfortunately, while the help text explains why you have to press the hotkey and what you can do with VC, it doesn't say which key to press.

I found it today!  On the AT&T version of the Blackjack II (is there another version?), you just hold down the little AT&T "globe" key in the bottom-lefthand corner of the keypad.  After 1 second, you'll hear a little ding, and then you can proceed with commanding your phone to do your bidding.

15 comments:

conan said...

wow wow I was just about to go ballistic trying to figure this one out...now how do you use it with bluetooth. Thank you Joe Future and Google

Joe Future said...

You're very welcome! I don't have a BT headset paired with my phone, but if you want to donate yours to the cause I'm sure I could figure it out :)

Andrew said...

Anonymous conan said...

wow wow I was just about to go ballistic trying to figure this one out...now how do you use it with bluetooth. Thank you Joe Future and Google


SAME HERE!!! what kind of mentally challenged individuals put that document together? and whats with the pic that looks like it was taken in a radio shack? Joe Future ROCKS! and google as well.

Joe Future said...

Keep in mind that the doc is a generic do for the app posted at Microsoft's website. They can't know how each device manufacturer or carrier is going to map their own buttons. Really, I think the answer would have been to make it configurable in the Voice Command settings menu so you could a) see what the current mapping is, and b) change it if you don't like the default.

Andrew said...

the vc help file talks about an option to setup the button, but it seems to be lacking in the bj2 version. little oversight I guess.

Anonymous said...

awesome. I just upgrade to 6.1 and spent hours looking for this. You rule.

Anonymous said...

Just press the button on your BT headset like you're making or answering a call. It activates the voice command after a couple seconds. Works great! I use it all the time. You also hear the prompts through the BT.

Anonymous said...

Man thanks a bunch. I would have never figured that one out. You're the man!!!

Kent said...

Love the new look and feel of 6.1, the voice command is a nice feature too. Anyone looked into the AT&T Default home screen as to how to point the My Picture section of it at the memory card instead of the phone directory?

Joe Future said...

Give this tool a try and see if that helps with the customization:

http://smartphonenutsandbolts.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/chome-configurator-for-wm-61/

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!! SO MUCH!

Anonymous said...

Many thanks to Joe Future for pointing out the VC key!

Tavvy said...

I bet you thousands of people are thanking you for this, but didn't leave a comment. I have gone into every program and folder and applications on my phone and I could NOT figure out for the life of me how to turn the thing on! Thanks a million!

KC0SPZ said...

Thank you very very much sir!

Enzo said...

YOU'RE AWESOME!
i was going nuts trying to figue this out!!!