Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What's on my BlackJack II - GPSed

I've been tinkering around with the .NET Compact Framework's GPS APIs a bit lately. I worked up a quick little app for my Blackjack that tracks my position via the built-in GPS and uploads it to my home server.  Then, I can view my tracks in Live Maps (or any other mapping app I plug in).  All was going well..

Then I discovered GPSed.com, and I immediately stopped coding. These guys have already done it, and it's free!

In a nutshell, GPSed is an app you install that allows you to track your location (and altitude!) via your phone's built-in GPS (or an attached Bluetooth GPS), record "tracks", and share them online.  The more you dig, the better it gets...  You can stream your tracks live to the web, control whether tracks are public or private, upload photos taken during your tracks and automatically geo-tag them, share your tracks live through your Twitter account... etc.  You can export your tracks in a number of formats too for uploading to other services or viewing in 3D in Google Earth.

So far, GPSed has worked like a dream on my Blackjack II.  Note, you'll have to install the MoDaCo GPS enabler hack to get it to work on the Blackjack or Blackjack II.  Clients are also available for the Blackberry and iPhone (and other phones).  Enjoy!

No comments: